Its Nutrition and Hydration Week and we are talking about the ways you can improve your hearing health, keep your body healthy and functioning properly, with vitamins and minerals playing an important role. Calcium will strengthen your bones and zinc will help boost your immune system, some minerals, like those listed are critical to keeping your hearing health protected.
1. Potassium – Potassium can regulate the fluid in your inner ear, this is important because as we get older because these levels tend to drop which can contribute to presbycusis or hearing loss.
Potassium can be found in potatoes, apricots, lima beans, spinach raisins, tomatoes, bananas, oranges, melons low-fat milk and yoghurt.
2. Folic Acid – Folic Acid helps keep your body generating new cell growth and helps increase circulation across the body, contributing to the overall health of the hair cells.
Folic Acid can be found in liver, broccoli, spinach, asparagus and fortified breakfast cereal.
3. Magnesium – Research shows that those treated with Magnesium alongside Vitamins A, C, and E were protected when exposed to high levels of noise. It’s believed that Magnesium acted as a barrier to hair cells in the inner ear when loud noises were emitted. Lack of Magnesium has been shown to shrink the blood vessels in the inner ear, causing oxygen deprivation.
Magnesium can be found in broccoli, potatoes, spinach, bananas and artichokes.
4. Zinc – Zinc is known to heal wounds and increase cell growth, Zinc can boost the body’s immune system and help ward off infections that can affect the ear. However if you check with a medical professional before taking this mineral, it may interact with antibiotics and diuretics.
Zinc can be found in dark-meat chicken, beef, pork, cashew nuts, peanuts, almonds, peanuts, split peas, beans, oysters, lentils and even dark chocolate.
5. Omega 3 Fats & Vitamin D – We’ve all heard about the anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties of Omega 3s, but did you know it’s been shown to help prevent hearing loss? A recent study found that this mineral can reduce the risk of age related hearing loss. Omega 3s can also help with brain function, sending signals between your brain and ears much more effectively.
Omega 3s can be found in krill oil, flaxseed oil, salmon, sardines and soybean oil.
If you eat healthy, with a balanced diet, your body could produce these essential minerals to keep it functioning normally, but always check with a medical professional before taking these in the form of supplements.
If you are concerned about your hearing why not book your FREE hearing test.
0800 740 8706
Monday - Friday: 08:30-17:00
Our hearing centre locator will quickly show you a choice of clinics in your area
Find a hearing centre